London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

17 Mar 2016

New Eden Mobile Level Design

I thought about the macanics of the game, I desided to incorporate stelf into the game, as that one of the main macanics of the PC version. This would also make for a much more interesting platform game. I needed to know what elements I need to make for the level, so I sketched out the level design in photoshop.
The player has to avoid all the animles and make there way to the top, where the treasure is. I thought of using a flying enamy as it would work like the one in the pc game, which is to scan for threts and attack if the player enters there sight. So the player would have to time their moments so is to not be seen. I also thought of adding items that the player could use to get through the level. I desided on stones, as this matched the pc version, and bait, as it could be used to destact the animals. The stones could be used to make the vines drop or agitate enemies, and the bait can be used as a detracted or to lear them to other places.


Once this was done, I worked on the concept art for the environment assats that would need to be made. I used the same kind of platforms that are in the oc version to make the world more cohisive, but I was worried that they might be overly complex for a smaller game. In the end, I made both and put them in the layout to see what worked better. As this is more of a puzzle game and the player would need to be able to see everything clearly, I went with the simplier design.



  

As I finished more assets, I put them together in photoshop so I can get an idea of how the layout should be and how everything looks together. I tried to make sure the vines stood out so the player knows they're intractable, and I changed the width of the platforms to fill up the space and make them look sturdier. I also moved platforms around so that the character could actually move around the environment logically. I felt like the tree tops and the platforms didn't stand out eanouth, so I tried adding some light to the tops of all the walkable surfaces. This just made everything look messy and it started to blend together, so I desided to focus on getting everything looking more crisp and defined.


Once all assets where done, I put them into unity and layed it out like the image. I made the lighting more cooler as I wanted the environment to look more like a jungle then a forest. This also made the platforms more gray, which works well as now they stand out more from the rest of the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment