London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

21 Feb 2016

New Eden Mobile: Character


Once I had finished the design for the character in the PC version, I drew her in the simpler version for the mobile game. I also added less destales to her texturing so it doesn't get to busy. I made sure her main features where still present, like her flatter chest and bigger nose and eyebrows, to keep her recognisable. For this reason I also kept her outfit and hair the same. As her head is so much bigger, I made her feathers, hands and feet larger as well, to help balance out the proportions.



When modelling the character, I tyed to keep the poly count as low as possible, wile still keeping the shapes that where needed. Once I finished the body, I duplicated faces from the main mesh to make the hair and clothes.  I wanted these parts to be separate so they could be changed with customisable elements. 

For the texturing, I was going to use mostly block colours, then use the lighting to create the shadows and highlights, but I coden't get that to work right, so I desided to paint the dimentuns instead. Because of this, I uses a large PDF file first, so I could plain in the level of detail I wanted, then shrunk this down to the allowed size. I also put her clothing on a different texture map to alow more space to pain. But this also means that another clothing texture could be layed here, saving space all around. One problem I found was the way I cut the hair UVs. As part of her ponytail was cut with the rest of her hair, I couldn't get the two parts to line up correctly.


Overall, I really like the results of this character. I think her feachures work well for a low poly model and the texure map helps it seem more deataled. She did end up being more polys then I thought, but this was due to her rock legs being in so many parts. My UV layout could also be a little more compacted, but it is organizes in a way that similar parts are put together to make identifying them easier.



Finally, I rigged and posed the character so that I could put her into the screen shots. I used my sketch book studies and images from the internet to help get the limbs in the right places. There was a lot of problems when it came to doing the weights for the joints as they kept changing when I would set them. After a long wile I got the joints to work as well as I could get them, but I didn't want to spend too much time on this as she wasn't going to be animated anyway and there ware more impotent thing that still needed to be done. But because of this, when posing her, there where bits that would bend wrong or fold into itself. These problems weren't too bad so I desired to cover them up in photoshop. In the future, I defiantly need to practice character rigging.

No comments:

Post a Comment