London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

15 Feb 2016

New Eden Mobile: Sketch Book Studies


To understand what assets I have to make, I started by drawing out some level designs for the game. At first I thought about making an endless runner, but that seemed quite boring, and I wanted the stelf element of the PC version to included in the mobile one. I then tried out some normal side stroller ideas, but this still felt too far different and ganeric I then thought of a platformer that works more like a puzzle game, in that the player would have to try and avoid enamys and use the environment to reach the goal. I also did some skeches of diffrent cartoony styles for the character. I wanted it to be much smaller and more simple the the PC version so it would take less polys and be easier to model.


Once I had modeled the character, I did some sketches of the kind of poses I wanted to her to be in. This helped me to see where the joints needed to be when posing it in Maya.
I also started designing the enamies. I wanted one to be some form of big cat or wolf, and the other be a flying animal. I wanted all the animles to look alien, so show the game isn't based on earth, so I tried to mash different animals together.


I wanted there to be somthing for Tarrin to colect at the end of each stange as the goal, so I drew up some madalian designs as this fit the Aztec theme of the world. I thought it would be boring to colecty the same thing each level, so i thoght of braking it apart and having the player collect all the peases. This give the game more of a goal and naritive.

No comments:

Post a Comment