London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

24 Jan 2015

Pixel Art Fire Hydrent

I've done pixel art before this lesson, but I used Paint and it was a very long time ago. But because of that I knew about surten rules like how the lines shouldn't zig-zag and basics about shading.
Using Photoshop to do pixel art it much eayer as you can use layers for the different colours and its easier to edit the pixel placement. We used a reference to make the hydrant which made it easyer as I could count how many pixels to use for the lines. I also did a lot of duplicating and flipping to make the proses quicker. When changing the colour of the line art I just locked the layer and painted over where the different shades needed to go. 


We added out finished hydrants to this scene, but as the scene is in a 3/4 view and the hydrant is in a front view, they don't blend together.

I also tried doing a pixel version of the main character for my games encounters project. I just wanted to see if I remembered how you where sapost to shade with pixel art. I still find it  a little difficult but its also really fun. 

I did a little research into the rules of pixel art before doing this one, so this one turned out much better. I might try and animate it later if I have the time. I also found a way to resize pixel art without blurring it, which may be useful in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment