London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

6 May 2018

Saffron Animation and Dialogue

The main focus of this game project was for me was to try thing I hadn't before. This is why I wanted to make a 2D game and try and play around with the animation editor. But I didn't want the whole process to be completely new, so I decided to make it a point and click, puzzle game, reminiscent of Factory Of the Lost Soul (Second-year project), from the mechanics to the spooky theme. 

More about my work on Factory of the Lost Soul here:

I started by learning how to make a 2D walking script, that also worked with a sprit animation. I had done basic animation before, but never sprite work. This was one of the reasons I decided to make the art style so simplistic so the animations wouldn't be too complicated. It also gave me an opportunity to play around with Unity's animator and animation functions.
The code I made used the input manager to allow the player to move so they could use the keyboard or a controller. I then remembered I originally going to make a point and click game, which meant I would have to rework the movement scripts to work with a mouse and navmesh. But in the end, I decided to keep the controller, as I haven't make a game specifically for that kind of input before. So I saw this as a good opportunity to change my way of thinking when it comes to player interactivity.




I then want on to adding dialogue, as it is one of my favourite parts of the games I play, yet I had never added it sussefully to any of the games I have made. I used the tutorial below for the most part, then changed how the dialogue triggers, form mouse/ button UI input to a controller. 







No comments:

Post a Comment