London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

22 Nov 2016

KittyKABOOM Evil Queen Consepts



Before making the enemies, I wanted to make the evil commander character so that I had a better idea of what the invaders look like. I was having troble thinking of the shapes I wanted to used for the commander, but I knew I wanted her to be very tall and slim. Because of this, I desided to uses Zbrush as a tool to get some ruff ideas out. I'm not very good at Zbrush, but I know how to uses most of the basic modelling tools, and as this was just for shape ideas, I didn't mind if it didn't look polished.


I then used this to start doing some different designs. At first, I stuck with more of  a demon/alien design aesthetic. I wanted to use a lot of sharp edges and sipcks to show that shes a bad guy. But I still wated her to look feminine and reagel, to she that she is very impotent/ has high statis. I then used more animal themes, just to help me think of different shapes. I ended up making a mouse themed one, as it would make more context with a cat themed tank. 



I wanted to work on the mouse design more, spasifacly getting the shapes and details down. I also wanted to practice some value work, so I did everything in gray scale. When making the queen, I still wanted it to look like a mouse, but I also wanted her too look evil and alien. To try and accomplish this, I used some mouse like elamants, like the buck teath and large rounded ears, but abstacted them with pointed edges to make her look dagarose. At first, I wanted the alain race to be more military based, so this character was going to be more of a galactic camcorder, but eventually I changed her to a bossy/ tatrent of a Queen, as I felt like her demanding/ selfish nature fits more for a royle character who is used to being spoled, then a solder based personality. 
Once I had finished the basic design, I added diffrent details would work for the enamies. With the frist design, people said it looked Aztec inspaired, which made her look very regal/ important. But I wanted her to look more sifi then mystical, so I didn't want to go with that one. The next two I tried to make look more spacy. The first one I tried to use mettle plates and rivets to make her look more matalic, but this became too busy looking and looks more steampunk/ had made then alien. For the last one I wanted to use more rounded shapes, to make it look more galatic/ spacey. 


After I had a better grasp on her design, I then tried out some different colours for the Queen. This was impotent as I would then use this colour scheme for the rest of the enmaies. I wanted them to look like aliens, but also look evil, so I used a lot of dark colours with some bright highlights for the detail, so that they stand out more. Thogh the red and black colours did make her look more evil, when people saw it they thoght she was some form of vampire mouse. To try and avoid this I when with the grayish blue colour to show the scifi element of it, as it looks more like metal.
I also included a little alien mouse solder by her side, just to show how much bigger she is from her subjects. I then used this to make a rended version of the concept. I was going to put her into a spaceship environment, but as environment are is my weekist skill it was taking too long. Additionally, there was no place in the game so far where the inside of the ship would be seen, so as it wane't needed for the game, I desided to not do it so that I had time to work on the more impotent thing for the game.




No comments:

Post a Comment