London based Post-graduate with a passion for games and game design!

25 Sept 2016

Tank Game Initial Ideas

For my 3rd year project, I want to make a game as I want to work on mt game design. But as I will be working by myself, I need to make sure the game play/ macanics are simple so I can have anouth time to do everything to a high quality.

I found a unity tutorial on how to make a tank game, so I desided to use that as a starting point. As I've made a shooting game before, this woden't be too far off my skill set, but still alow me to learn new things. I also wont have to worry to much about animation, and the codes are versitil so the over all direction of the game is very open.

At first, I was inspired by the cat themed tank I made in first year. I thought about doing different themed tanks that battled each other in a PvP game. But I coden't think of a way to link them all together in a game that made seance. So I then tried to think of some single theme ideas.
As I did some sketches of a bee themed tank, I though to make the game bee/bug themed. To make sence of them fighting each other, I thought to make it a battle to be queen. This way I would be able to design different female characters, which is my strong sute, as well as some different tank designs to match each character.
Wile I was drawing up some characters fo the bees, I thought about doing something less human looking and more in lines of an anthropomorphic insect look. When doing these, I thought they looked more like aliens, so I also sketched some space ships based on the shapes of each design. I liked this a lot more, as I found it easier then trying to make multiple bee themed tanks that still looked unique from each other.





Even thogh I liked this direction, I realized that designing multiple ships and characters may be too much work for me, consisaring I will have to do everything else for this project as well. So I needed to change my idea to something that would only require me to make one ship or tank design to save on time. This is when I went back to my origonal cat tank design. As the design is very simple, it woden't take too long to model and as its a cat, I could used diffret trxures to destiguse the diffret players. 


No comments:

Post a Comment